Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Computer companions

After reading a friend’s blog yesterday I got to thinking about what is or perhaps isn’t a healthy relationship with people you have met online. I have many “friends” online, I even met Mark online, my concern is when we cross that little line between sanity and insanity. I sat awake last night going over this in my head, not that it was keeping me up . . . there really was something strange going on in this house last night but that’s a whole other blog in itself.

It’s so easy to make yourself out to be something you are not online. True lies I guess, we tend not to convey the bad points about our personalities. Well, not at the start anyway. When I first met Mark my words were not “hey I’m Pamela, a right headcase that suffers from panic attacks, depression, endrometriosis, underactive thyroid (the list goes on) and I tend to bottle up problems and get overly angry at the slightest little thing”. Instead I chose to keep it light hearted, letting him see what perhaps he wanted to see. However, as soon as I realised that there was something more to Mark and I, he knew everything and luckily for me that did not put him off. He is a very good judge of character is my Mark, and even although I didn’t lie, he was aware of my problems before I had told him. It never was an online relationship. We were two people who stumbled across each other and found common interests. It didn’t become a relationship until after we had met a few times. That to me seems semi healthy. We didn’t live in a fantasy world where everything was peachy through being shady. He met my friends, I met his. I think that one of the best ways to suss someone out, meet their friends and see how they react around them.

I have also managed to gain a few healthy friendships with female chatters too. Again like Mark, these relationships started online, but I soon met these girls and now you can’t get me off the phone to them. I think there needs to be a balance in online friendships. Perhaps I’m wrong, perhaps my views are all slightly skewered but I find that if it stays online it’s doomed. Like I made a male friend about 8 years ago, nice enough chap, but so full of mince it’s almost funny. He’s never met me, there is no indication that we will ever meet so this to him is a security blanket to big himself up. I know he’s lying, he knows he’s lying yet he continues the way he is. We sit each night in front of this screen, the veil, concealing the secrets of our lives, hoping that nobody gets to close and right there and then you’re destroying what hasn’t even begun. We get wrapped up in a world of msn, blocking out all that is real, and starting new relationships on dry soil. We forget that there is life beyond the screen. I know at one point I was just the same, luckily my thoughts have matured with time and I have a healthy tinternet/real life balance these days. Using my MSN for only the “special people” in my life. On there is only one person I have not met, young Benny. That’s a little different though, he is worthy enough to be on my MSN, I know he’s not one of the plebby sorts I’m speaking of :P and I will meet him at one point, have every intention of (whether you like it or not muwahahaha)

I know for a long time I found it much easier to speak to people online than my “real friends”. This was because of low self esteem, for finding some of my real friends were not very real at all. I can understand coming from a small town with not many friends makes it easier to just tap away all night looking for friendships you just can’t get in real life. There is no harm in drawing the two together, make it a true friendship. Let people see the real you, because no matter how truthful you think you are online, there is always concealment.

5 comments:

Ben James said...

*scared now!* =p

It seems to me that true online friendships inevitably reach an impasse because of the limiting nature of chatting over a computer.

In my experience there are two types of online relationships: the friendships that evolve and sooner or later you start thinking about getting more 'real', as in phoning/meeting up. Then there's the other sort that never grows beyond frivolous chit-chat and that's okay for what it is.

And there's a big gap between the too, no in between stage. Bottom line is you either care about someone or you don't.

I worry about meeting people now in case I've 'bigged myself up' in the past and, well, we can all be brave hiding behind a screen :s

Pammi said...

I've found you to be both honest and caring benny! There aren't many people in this world never mind online that I can talk to in the capacity that I talk to you. You don't big yourself up at all, that's why your on my msn, your about as real as an online friend can be. If anything you're pretty hard on yourself and sometimes I wish you'd give yourself a shake and see yourself in the way I and your other online friends see you.

Your a lovely man, inside and out and always spare the time for me in crisis situation, that and we have a good laugh talking utter nonsense! so you have nowt to be scared off.. cause I've never said "why lie" to you have i? :P and we both know I'm as blunt as they come!

I love our wee online friendship, there are days when a few silly words from you are all I need to see the rest of the day through! None of that blog was linked to you in anyway

P-x

Anonymous said...

You so right pam, like u i have only ppl i care for alot on my msn, the people that know me for long time, ppl u can trust, as there aint many out there xxx

Happychick said...

Yep You are so right here pammsicles... and Benny boy you also make a good point.
We all know I have been caught out on the Internet thing, however, I have also been blessed, and I mean, Blessed my some true true friends thru being online.. Thats where the evolving comes in that you talk about benny.
You are right, you either care about someone or you don't.. and that there has been my blind spot. I am very free with my affection, I care about people and their emotions. The problem becomes when mine are not valued in the same way. It takes me a long time sometimes to suss out the 'obvious' but I do get there.
With regard to meeting up with people, I am who I am... who you get to know online is who I am in the flesh.. Pammi..and many others...I hope you'd agree lol. I do believe if you are always honest and be yourself, and are prepared not to believe in fantasy, then you wont go wrong. Living behind a screen it is far too easy to live in a fantasy or believe in one. Thats where its either meet up and develop, or... it remains as chit chat.. with a wiser slant.
I dont lie, or big myself, I am a congruent person. I find it hard to believe others are not, sadly there are many hiding behind these screens busy being people they are not.
I do hope they come to their senses and be who they are, I'd sure have more respect for them!
I love ya pammipots...looking forward to seeing you again reallllllllly soon ..and....ROLL ON AUGUST MEET YAAAAYYYYY xxxxx

Pammi said...

you are defo the exact same in person Lisa, kind hearted, affectionate, caring, considerate,generous and an absolute scream, only more cuddley! I love you to bits wee yin and defo cant wait til the meet in aug!! whoop!!

P-xxx