Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Today . . .

20 alarms, finally get up and usual rush to get dressed and out the door. I barely had time to grab breakfast never mind get excited about going home. Anyways, got back, showered, quick cuppa with Karen and then set the car up! I hate this job, I find it so monotonous! Filling the water, the radiator, checking the oil and tyres... crappy but crucial! Fired off a text to Mark who was still at work to let him know that was me about to make tracks, got a quick reply inviting me to lunch. I didn’t have time for lunch but I did pop along to say bye properly.

I really do hate saying bye to anyone, and Mark isn’t just anyone. Doesn’t matter if it’s for two days or two years, I don’t like it. I did have a really good drive home though. I am not the best singer in the world, not that it mattered because it was only me in the car, so I was belting them out! The drive can often be a long and lonely one even with company sometimes (as Mark usually lasts about 20miles before falling asleep) but I found it to be just what I needed! Perhaps it was the sun coming down at my back, or the beautiful and often breath taking scenery, the thought of mum and her amazing hugs or just the quiet moments when I had my music off. I usually don’t enjoy being alone, I used to avoid it at all costs. This week I felt I needed it. I could have chosen to travel home by coach or train and be surrounded by strangers, but I was longing for some “me time”.

First 25 miles, I thought about Mark, about not having him to fall asleep with, about him sat at work, about what he’d be doing this evening without me, about him not freezing his ass off tonight with no me there to sausage roll myself in the quilt, but mostly I thought about whether or not he was thinking about me. The first 25 miles believe it or not are the best, because after that the sat nav says “continue for 170 miles”. That’s a long stretch and as obtuse as it may sound, can be quite tiring! The same road for the best part of 2 and a half hours *yawn*. I breezed up the road in a record 3 hours and 17 minutes! I didn’t notice the time, I didn’t notice the miles whizzing by, I probably failed to notice a whole bunch of speed cameras and will have my licence ripped off me next week (best not joke about that actually). I let out one long, loud blast of the horn when I saw the “welcome to Scotland – fĂ ilte gu Alba” sign! I actually giggled with excitement at that point.

Knowing that mum would be at work by the time I arrived, I quickly popped into the butchers for square sausages and totty scones :$ ha I shall refrain from telling you the quantities, but I will keep them frozen and be happy for a while back in England! Got home about an hour before mum was due in so went upstairs to my bed and just lay there, absorbed the familiarity and closed my eyes enjoying each second of it! Mhairi popped in with Aaron. I kept a civil head, and sat down to play with the bairn. “I have ten tiny fingers” is my favourite kid’s song, so I chose to teach him that one!

THENNNNNNNN MUM CAME HOMEEEEE!! Got the best hug ever! I was so happy to see her, I can’t explain it, even if I wanted to, she is just amazing! Spend dinner time with mum then popped up to dad’s for a bit! Daddy bear is pretty cool! He is the strong silent type, but he doesn’t need words ‘cause I know him inside out! Had about three cups of tea and a blether before coming back home! The evening passed by too quickly! I gave Kirsty a wee call too! Her team won tonight, she was trying to be smug about it lol but we still beat you on sat :P

I can’t sleep now, I don’t know what it is! I know I’m used to having Mark to sleep with, so sleeping alone is not something that I am accustomed to. I have plenty to do. I have to make tablet for Mark’s mum and have said I’d print some pictures for dad, but with no ingredients and no photo paper I might make a trip to asda while it’s quiet. I see a midnight baking session ahead of me.

I know that Thursday is going to be here before I know it. I know I am going to be a mess, I know I’m going to bawl my eyes out when I have to say bye to mum and baby beast! I know I’ll still be crying when I get to Manchester. Why am I doing this again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ the quantities u got !:P, loved yer wee call hen, ure a hoot.

You done it because u miss and worried about your mother like any girl would, u will be all greeting when u go back, but just remember , it not forever, and u have got your good pal kirsty here if u need her, i love all my friends and i love youuu chicken,even if u will be blubberring down the phone xxxxxxxx

Pammi said...

i probably will be hun lol you'll come out of work to about 20 voicemails that you wont be able to understand cos ill be all snotty and teary!

lol sausages of the square sort are just friggin grand!! and the ones that slagged me for being so particular about them down south shall not be sharing my meaty goodiness with me!! MINEEEEE lol

Loves ya right back chicken xxx